Thursday, January 17, 2013

Birchbox: January 2013

I think I mentioned this in my December 2012 Favorites post, but I absolutely love being a Birchbox subscriber!  My January box arrived on Tuesday, and I've been busy testing things out.  For anyone who doesn't know what Birchbox is, it's a monthly beauty and lifestyle subscription service that sends out 4-6 samples of products each month.  You can review the products on the website and earn points, which add up to discounts on full-size product purchases if you happen to fall in love with something you sample.  Learn more here!  They also have a men's subscription, for any guys reading this out there (doubtful).

So, here's what I got this month! *Warning....This will be a picture-heavy post.*

                            


Alessandro Nail Polish

 Alessandro nail polish in Blue Lagoon

Wouldn't you know that I would get the only box variation this month that contained nail polish?  This is a European brand of nail polish that is sold in the United States exclusively through Birchbox.  The formula is great--thick, but not goopy.  And, the cap is super easy to hold while painting your nails.  The color is beautiful, although it's not terribly unique.  I have a bottle of Sinful Colors' Rain Storm (see picture below), which is very similar, that costs $1, whereas the full-size version (I received a sample size) of this polish is $12.  Silly Europeans.

Not identical, but similar enough that you probably don't need both.

Harvey Prince Skinny Chic Perfume


Harvey Prince is a relatively unknown fragrance brand.  I've received a couple other Harvey Prince perfume samples in previous Birchboxes, but this particular scent was new to me.  The notes in this fragrance--crisp, green apple; sweet mint; and warm amber--are supposed to help with appetite control.  While trying to quiet the feminist-leaning questions rising in my mind (Is Birchbox trying to tell their subscribers something? Why does this kind of perfume even exist?!), I think the concept is pretty cool!  Especially with the majority of the world resolving to be healthy in the new year.  It smells good, too.  Be careful of using too much though--a little goes a long way if you're scent-sensitive.

Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum



Yes, Ojon, please make my hair look like hers!
Until the past couple of years, I never understood why people used hair oils.  I've always had oily skin and scalp, so the thought of putting more oil or moisture on any part of me grossed me out and just seemed counterproductive.  However, as I've gotten a little older, I've noticed that my actual strands of hair look parched and sad.  Yes, sad.  Ojon is supposedly a nice brand, so this will be fun to test out.  I've already used it once, focusing on the ends of my hair, and I think it was just O.K.  Maybe next time, I'll try to work it in a little higher into the mid-lengths of my hair.

theBalm Cosmetics "Put a Lid On It" Eyelid Primer


Eyeshadow primer is another life-altering discovery of mine within the last year or so.  Having oily skin means you have oily eyelids, upon which eyeshadow doesn't like to stick for long periods of time.  The resulting effect is that of a hot mess minus the hotness.  To help my eye makeup stay in place, I've been using Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion since early autumn, and I love that.  I think this primer from theBalm works just as well.  It's a little more of a wet formula than the Urban Decay, so make sure you let it dry completely before putting on your eyeshadow.  After that, you're good to go for hours and hours.

Size comparison. Tiny tube, but you only need a very small amount!

Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream

I received two foil packets.

The use of moisturizer is definitely important in the winter months to avoid dry skin.  Even if you have oily skin, you're supposed to moisturize.  I use an oil-free one with SPF in the daytime, and I've been testing this sample out at night.  Generally, I like the Fresh brand.  Its lip balms are amazing and unfortunately expensive, but I'm not a huge fan of its skincare.  I have a very small bottle of the Soy Face Wash, and even though it claims to be fragrance free, ......well, it smells like you're washing your face with edamame.  It just does.  Since this lotion has the word "Lotus" in its name, I thought it would have a floral scent.  Nope.  Veggies on your face.  Luckily, the scent fades.  Aside from that, it's a nice consistency.  I can't speak for the "youth-preserving" properties, as I'm only 23. *shrug*

So, this month's Birchbox was exciting and full of stuff I'll definitely use!  Are you a subscriber?  What'd you get this month?

PS: It SNOWED here today!!! :)

This was taken around 8am, but it didn't stop until about 11am!

No comments:

Post a Comment