Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Wintertime Blues

Today's question in my Q&A A Day journal is "What inspired you today?"

I had THE hardest time coming up with an answer for this question. Unfortunately, this is my least favorite time of the year. It's like everything just comes to a screeching halt. The holidays are over, and the weather is miserable. It's like everyone's just trudging along until it gets warm. Let's brainstorm ways to stay positive and happy, shall we?

Creative hobbies are always a fun indoor activity. This may be a little too girly, but I've really been into painting my nails lately. I don't do the crazy amazing nail art designs, but I do enjoy a good DIY mani. Whether you paint nails or canvases, write/play music, or blog like yours truly, being stuck inside doesn't have to be so lame as long as you have something creative to keep you from going insane.

Speaking of music! While gloomy, sad songs have a certain cathartic effect (if that's what kind of mood you're in), I firmly believe that more upbeat tunes help me get through the winter months. I don't know if I'm psyching myself out or what, but fun and happy music tends to put me in a more fun, happier mood. It almost makes me want to get up and dance...

Which brings me to the subject I ultimately wrote about in my answer to today's question: exercise. As much as I loathe it, I think I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that exercise is an absolute necessity to being a healthy human being, both for physical and mental reasons. Lately, I've been having a bit of anxiety, a topic which I'll revisit in a future blog post. Whether the weather is causing these feelings or just stress, the best way to get rid of it all is, you guessed it, exercise. I'll admit that after exercise I feel great and so proud of myself. However, DURING exercise? The list of things I would rather be doing is infinitely long. I'm closer to accepting that it has to be a priority, and that's that. Besides, one of my New Year's resolutions was to be healthier, and there's no better time to start. Now, excuse me while I go dust off my sneakers...


No comments:

Post a Comment